Possible topic: new BJCP exam and/or judging in general

Possible topic: new BJCP exam and/or judging in general  

By: _joel on March 28, 2012, 2:06 p.m.

Effective April 1 the BJCP (Beer Judge Certification Program) exam has a new look and feel. I think it will make it easier for new judges to become certified. If people are interested I can give a brief talk on the new certification process, and can add general info on judging beer at sanctioned competitions if desired. (I'd most likely also need a ride to the meeting.)

Re: Possible topic: new BJCP exam and/or judging in general  

By: _chase on March 28, 2012, 5:51 p.m.

That would be great. I'd be happy to host it.

By: _joel on March 28, 2012, 5:54 p.m.

I was thinking as a topic of the month at the monthly meeting. If there were sufficient interest in taking the exam we could have some follow-up study sessions.

By: _Anthony on March 28, 2012, 7:43 p.m.

I took the online exam to become a provisional judge... it wasn't too bad. Maybe we could generate enough interest to hold the tasting portion here in town as well.

By: _joel on March 29, 2012, 8:55 a.m.

Anthony wrote:I took the online exam to become a provisional judge... it wasn't too bad. Maybe we could generate enough interest to hold the tasting portion here in town as well.

That would be the goal. Assuming I proctor, we'd need to scare up another couple National+ judges. Lots to choose from-- Formanek, McKenna, Linsner, Sparrow, Naski, Weiser, Swihart, L. Coombs, Uchima, Morey, T. Fitzpatrick, Gabriel... and probably a few more IL/IN people I missed. Would be nice to have it done well before the Brew-Off in June January.

By: _Anthony on March 29, 2012, 2:23 p.m.

In fact, we'd have to scare up at least a Master judge according to the new guidelines.

By: _joel on March 29, 2012, 3:46 p.m.

Anthony wrote:In fact, we'd have to scare up at least a Master judge according to the new guidelines.

I read it as 3 National+ judges (one Master prefered) or if one is a Master judge one can be Certified.

But now I can't even find where it specifies the number of proctors.

By: _Anthony on March 29, 2012, 4:27 p.m.

It's here.

The BJCP Exam Director (exam_director@bjcp.org) can grant waivers from the proctor rules but such exceptions are expected to be rare. The use of a proctor with less than National rank, including the use of judges with minimum tasting score of 80 and more than 10 judging experience points requires pre- approval by the Exam Director. We further desire that at least one proctor be a Master judge (or higher) or a judge with a minimum tasting score of 90 and with at least 20 judging experience points. If one or more of the proctors is Master-level, then a third proctor can be used that only has a Certified rank.

I guess that could be read as preferred versus required.

By: _joel on March 30, 2012, 8:46 a.m.

Anthony wrote:It's here.

The BJCP Exam Director (exam_director@bjcp.org) can grant waivers from the proctor rules but such exceptions are expected to be rare. The use of a proctor with less than National rank, including the use of judges with minimum tasting score of 80 and more than 10 judging experience points requires pre- approval by the Exam Director. We further desire that at least one proctor be a Master judge (or higher) or a judge with a minimum tasting score of 90 and with at least 20 judging experience points. If one or more of the proctors is Master-level, then a third proctor can be used that only has a Certified rank.

I guess that could be read as preferred versus required.

I read that whole paragraph as dealing with the granting of waivers to the National+ requirement, but agree that the wording leaves it open to interpretation. If it becomes an issue I can follow up.

By: _joel on April 5, 2012, 3:39 p.m.

So no short presentation on getting certified as a beer judge tonight?