Single Hop Brew

Single Hop Brew  

By: _chase on Aug. 3, 2013, 9:31 a.m.

I'm putting together an experiment in single-hopped beers for the club. The general idea here is that we all brew a beer with a hop that we each choose and then bring that beer to a meeting so we can taste and compare different hop varieties. I've been talking with Anthony and he suggested that we actually use two hops in the beers; we all use the same hop for bittering so they're more uniform and then make the late additions the hop of your choice. He's even offered for Triptych to donate the bittering hops (Horizon). I'll update this post with details on hop pickup in the coming days.

For anyone that's interested in participating, I think we should aim for the general recipe listed below. On your own time you can brew the beer using whatever hop you want (late additions). I ask that you do your best to stick to the recipe listed below. Please do not be creative. We should be aiming for as much uniformity as possible. Please post on this thread which hop you are going to use so we don't have duplicates.

We won't get around to tasting these beers until the November meeting (11/7). This gives everyone plenty of time to prepare but that's also a long way away for IPA. Please try to make this beer around early October so that the hops are freshest.

The general recipe:

OG:1.060
IBU: ~50-70

95% 2-row
5% Crystal 40º
1.5oz Horizon @ 60min
1.0oz hop-of-your-choice @ 15min
1.0oz hop-of-your-choice @ 0min
Ferm at 68º with US-05
1.0oz hop-of-your-choice dry hop

If you're making an extract beer, just replace the 2-row with enough extract to get your OG to 1.060. A 5.5gal batch will need about 7.75lbs of DME. Please adjust as needed.

There is going to be variability that we can't control. That's okay. I know that not everyone has temperature control, or can hit the same efficiency each time, etc. The IBUs in your beer will potentially vary a lot depending on which hop you choose. I would encourage you to keep your 15min addition at 1oz, and allow the IBUs to vary rather than adjusting the amount of hops to keep the IBUs the same. Either way, just aim for the above recipe and don't worry about the details.

As an example, here is the recipe I will use.

Belma Test
Size: 22.0 L
Efficiency: 75.0%

OG: 1.060
FG: 1.013
IBU: 65

5700.0 g (95.0%) Canadian 2-Row Malt
300.0 g (5.0%) Crystal Malt 40
Mash at 153ºF for 60 min

42.0 g (33.3%) Horizon (10.0%) - boiled 60.0 m
28.0 g (22.2%) Belma (11.3%) - boiled 15.0 m
28.0 g (22.2%) Belma (11.3%) - flameout
1.0 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05, ferm at 68ºF

28.0 g (22.2%) Belma (11.3%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

Update:
Hops are available for pickup at Triptych. They are in 1oz allotments. If you want to brew two (or more beers) for this experiment, take as many bags of hops as you think you'll use. Please don't be shitty and take more hops that you'll actually use.

Again, please post what hop you're going to use here so we don't have duplicates.

Update on my beer:
Brewed Sept. 30. OG=1.064
Dryhop Oct. 6
Keg Oct. 15. FG=1.012. Fined with gelatin.

Re: Single Hop Brew  

By: _barleyrat on Aug. 7, 2013, 8:54 a.m.

I'll do Willamette.

-Jackson

By: _Phillip Wilson on Aug. 16, 2013, 7:56 a.m.

Falconer's Flight

Cheers to the beers.

By: _david on Aug. 16, 2013, 11:15 a.m.

We will do Nelson Sauvin.
BBC

By: _Greg on Aug. 26, 2013, 1:19 p.m.

Chase/ Single Hop Brewers All-
I would like to participate w/ Demo. I will use Sterling Hops.

Distributor couldn't fulfill Sterling Hops request. Hybrid hop "Caliente" provided for demo by Anthony @ Triptych Brewing Thanks!

By: _Rosevilleca on Aug. 29, 2013, 9:59 a.m.

Yes, Columbus hops.

• James

By: _richb on Sept. 13, 2013, 2:43 p.m.

I'm in with Saphir

By: _Shannon on Sept. 17, 2013, 8:05 p.m.

I will use Amarillo hops

By: _Phillip Wilson on Sept. 27, 2013, 2:12 p.m.

Brewing up mine this weekend. I will try to not drink it all before the November meeting.

By: _Shannon on Sept. 29, 2013, 5:57 p.m.

Actually using ahsantum because I couldn't find Amarillo.

By: _Nick on Oct. 2, 2013, 11:31 a.m.

I'm going to use Opal

By: _chase on Oct. 15, 2013, 5:34 p.m.

Hopefully everyone is getting close to kegging or bottling? Only three weeks left.